After you provision and configure your Jenkins instance on Azure, after a while you may get a notification in Manage Jenkins section like the following. I tested the steps on Azure but the same method can be applied to any Jenkins deployed on Ubuntu.
Here are the steps to upgrade the Jenkins master.
- Copy the link to the latest Jenkins war file.
- ssh into the VM on Azure where the Jenkins instance is hosted.
$ ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Run wget to download the file.
$ wget http://updates.jenkins-ci.org/download/war/2.164.3/jenkins.war
- Stop jenkins daemon.
$ sudo systemctl stop jenkins
- Copy the downloaded jenkins.war to /usr/share/jenkins
$ sudo cp -f ~/jenkins.war /usr/share/jenkins
- Start jenkins daemon.
$ sudo systemctl start jenkins
- Open the browser to the Jenkins (or refresh) to check the lower right corner for the version.